Thursday, April 21, 2011

Things I think Every Mom Needs, and Doesn't.

Looking back over the past year I have thought about things that I am SO glad I have, and things that I wish I didn't buy. 
Here are the things that I couldn't have done without.

Summer Infant Swaddle Me blanket is perfect for babies that love to be swaddled.
It will keep them tightly wrapped and warm. Super easy to use.

These bath towels are so plush and warm. They are currently on sale at PBkids.com


I have tried Dr. Brown's (they are hard to clean and leak), Born Free (love them but are difficult to clean),
Avent, and Playtex. These Playtex are my favorite. Super easy to clean and vent will to prevent bubbles
which lead to gassy little tummies.


These are not expensive, but so necessary at 6 months when your little one starts eating
baby food. Most babies who are exclusively breast fed do not have stinky diapers, but once
you introduce formula or baby food, shew-wee.

These sheets are available at Babies R Us. They are perfect for cool nights and come in several colors.

These diaper caddies are from PBkids.com. You need a diaper caddy in the nursery, the living room, your
room, and anywhere else you think you will be spending a lot of time. It is so nice to have everything you need
for a diaper change in each room instead of taking the baby back and forth to the nursery for a change.
My best friend for almost 1 year! If you are considering breast-feeding you MUST buy this pump.
If you buy any other pump you will be disappointed. Promise! I left Cohen for 7 days when he was 5 months old.
I pumped every 3-4 hours for 7 days and it never failed me. Centennial's A Mother's Place  has the best
lactation consultants in town, you can rent this pump there if you don't want to spend $280 on it. If you know you
plan to nurse for 1 year then I would buy it. It's the best money ever spent as a mom.




And some things I personally think are pointless.
1) Bottle drying rack...
Just lay them on a towel on the counter, or let them dry in the dishwasher

2)Bottle warmer...
I got one, but thought it was a waste of time. We just put the bottle in a bowl of hot tap water and let it sit for 10 minutes.

3)Bottle sterilizer...
Who thought of this anyway? If you wash your bottles with organic infant bottle wash, use a bottle brush, and rinse them in hot water there is no need to sterilize after each use. Besides, I am not a fan of heating any type of plastic, BPA free or not.  However, you do have to sterilize the bottles and nipples before the first use. Just throw them in a pot of boiling water.

4) Johnson and Johnson baby products...
I know these have been used for generations, but they are all artificial and have no organic ingredients. (I haven't tried the Natural J&J line yet.) Even my pediatrician said Johnson and Johnson products are bad for baby's skin. Aveeno, Aquaphor, California Baby, and Burt's Bees are MUCH better choices.
** I do LOVE the lavender smell of the bedtime lotion though, so I wipe a bit on Cohen's jammies!

Blessings,
Kelly


1 comment: