Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Baby Proof


We have managed to avoid putting up a baby gate...until Saturday. Cohen really became mobile around Christmas. So we kept him from getting into the entry way and up the stairs by putting this enormous Rubbermaid thing that houses our Christmas tree at the end of the carpet. He never tried to move it and did not seem to even realize that there was a possibility that he could get past it. Well all that changed on Thursday. I watched him push and pull on the thing, while he grunted and his face turned red. After three minutes or so, he had pushed it enough that he could squeeze past it. He turned and looked and me, I said "No, Cohen" but he giggled and ran to the stairs and started climbing up them. We played this game a few more times that day, each time it taking him 3-4 minutes to "escape." 
Saturday I was at work and Chad called me around 8am. He rarely calls me at work, so when he does I know he needs something. He said, "Kelly, Cohen keeps escaping. What do I do?" I laughed and told him to put up the baby gate that we had stored in the garage.  A little while later, Chad texted me a picture of Cohen on the outside of the gate, looking very perplexed. The next picture Chad sent me was of our cat Oops sitting on the outside of the gate looking equally confused. Having the gate up has made it much easier to keep an eye on him.
     Speaking of baby proof. I am thinking/hoping that God makes uteruses baby proof. My stomach has definitely taken on the "pregnant" look in the past few days. And it is at the exact height as Cohen when I am changing him on the changing table. He kicks and squirms when I change his diaper and manages to kick my stomach about 5-10 times per day. I hope the baby doesn't get jarred too hard. I can only imagine what the poor little baby is thinking as he hears Cohen's cranky attitude when he first wakes up, then feels a swift kick to his house.
     Cohen is SO BUSY. He does not stop ever. He is constantly on the move, and has NO CLUE that the television exists. I'll admit, I have never thought highly of allowing your child to watch TV, and had planned to never let my child watch TV before he was three. However, my great friend Rowena has a boy almost the same age as Cohen. She can put Woodson in a pack and play, put a baby show on, and he will watch TV while she sneaks in a shower, cooks dinner, whatever. I went to have lunch with her at her house and thought, "Ooh, how nice to be able to get stuff done. I'll try that." So I put Cohen in the pack in play with Woodson with a baby show on the TV. Woodson watched the show and giggled. Cohen started throwing all the toys out of the pack in play and screamed. I realized that my ideal plan of no TV, was not a great idea. I can't even pee without my toddler holding onto my leg saying "up" or "momma." Maybe one day he will sit down and watch a kids' show so I can have a few minutes to myself.  Chad and I have already decided that teachers are going to tell us that Cohen has ADHD. I feel like the definition of ADHD is "boy." Boys are so busy and rowdy. I love how curious and busy he is, even if it wears me completely out. 

 Here are a few pictures of his first "real" Easter that he could participate it. He had a great time. It is always so fun to be with the Cato/Cochrane family. They are such a happy, lively family.

He hated the ears, but I had to do it!

Out of the gate, ready to get Easter eggs

Not sure what to do with his bucket


Aunt Janice encouraging Co to pick up the eggs



Once he discovered the mini playset in Nana's yard, he was done with eggs

Oh, and Chad said he wanted it publicly known that he HATES Cohen's outfit. I told him that if we had boys I got to dress them until they were two. He never really agreed with me. I always say, "He can wear Polo's and khakis for the rest of his life." I want my boys to wear Jon Jons. It is a CONSTANT battle. And I've got to fight it again with the new baby. I've got my gloves laced up!!

1 comment:

  1. So precious! Looks like y'all had a wonderful Easter! Cohen is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete