Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Decorating....(and a bit of controversy).

There is something that I love about dreary, raining days. I don't feel guilty for going all day without make-up and staying inside. (Well maybe a little guilty). I have been busying myself decorating for Christmas and playing with my boys. Our Christmas tree is from Chad's parents. It is the one that Chad grew up with. It is a small tree, and somewhat Charlie Brown-esque, but I do love it. It has such special meaning.  One day, when we have more space, we will get a taller tree, but we will always keep this one:) Cohen loves to point and say "lights on" if I don't have the lights plugged in.
(I tried to upload a picture of the tree, but I don't know how to rotate it, so I left it off).
I also hung up this framed chicken-wire thing that I saw on Pinterest and bought it at Christmas Village. It would've been easy to make, but for $25 I bought it instead!


It is perfect to hang birth announcements and Christmas cards. Then when the boys get big, I can hang their art work on it.

Sutton will be 2 months old on Wednesday! So crazy how fast it goes. His 2 month appointment is Wednesday. He is supposed to get 5 shots that day!! That's crazy to me. I would never get 5 shots in one day, so I refuse to put my babies through that. It is not that I think he will get autism, ADHD, or something else, it is simply that, to me, it is unnecessary to pound their little, immature immune systems with that many vaccines at one time. Thank goodness our doc is okay with us getting one or two at a time. That means we go back to the doctor more frequently, but I sleep better because of it. I know this is a HUGE controversial issue with many people in this country. My children will definitely get most of the vaccines before they start kindergarten, just not on the CDC recommended schedule.

When Cohen was a newborn, I asked my pediatrician if he would allow me to get the vaccines spaced out. If he had said "no" I would have been forced to choose another doctor, but thankfully he allows it. First he asked though, "why do you think it is necessary?" I told him my reasoning, and he said "I think there is no link between autism, asthma, allergies, etc and vaccines, but if it makes you sleep better then we can space them out." Great! I think docs need to be flexible with moms, because ultimately, the mom is the one raising the child, not the doctor.
Regardless of whether you choose to space out vaccines or not, I encourage everyone to be an advocate for their children, themselves and their family when it comes to medicine. Doctors and nurses are only human, not the ultimate authority. Ask questions about your health care:)
 BTW, this is probably the last blog I will do in my twenties!! Sniff, sniff. I will be 30 this week. Wow!
Almost two months!



Have a wonderful, dreary, lazy day!!









3 comments:

  1. way to go Kelly! being an advocate for our children is a huge job. Being able to ask your pediatrician and stand by your convictions can be very difficult. One mom I know insist they draw them up in front of her, to make sure its the right drug. Many places draw them up in the morning to save time. Can't believe you have 2 babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with that decision, Kelly. I did the exact same thing with both of my girls. 5 shots in one visit is just too much. We would half the shots and then see the nurse a few weeks later for the others. And even half would make them cranky and sometimes cause a fever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5 shots in one visit is entirely too much! I am so glad Alexander's pediatrician offers the combo vaccines. He has never received more than two shots (one in each thigh).

    On another note, I can't believe you are turning 30. Welcome to the club!! It's not so bad.. If I don't get to tell you on your birthday, I hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete