Thursday, October 20, 2011

I think we have colic. Help!!

Yes, I am 90% sure of it. Just to demolish a popular misconception, colic is not necessarily related to stomach or digestive problems. Here is a good definition of colic from www.medicinenet.com
Infantile colic has been around for a long time. In 1954, Dr. Morris Wessel, a well-known New Haven pediatrician, defined an infant with colic as "one who, otherwise healthy and well-fed, had paroxysms of irritability, fussing, or crying lasting for a total of three hours a day and occurring on more than three days in any one week for a period of three weeks." It is also important to remember that not all fussy babies suffer from colic. Most infants normally cry two to three hours per day, but this is usually spread out during the 24-hour period
So technically, colic can't be "diagnosed" until the infant is at least three weeks old. There seems to be a few theories as to what causes the excessive crying: digestive problems, an immature nervous system, and overstimultion are a few.
I have no idea what is causing Sutton to be such a screamer, but he most definitely is. He cries 75% of each day. If he isn't nursing, he's crying. I'm talking like red-faced screaming. A pacifier, swing, Moby wrap, Baby Bjorn, nothing soothes him. He is gaining weight appropriately so I'm pretty positive it is not because he is hungry. The only up-side to this....He sleeps really great at night. I think it is half because of the Babywise schedule, and the other half because he is absolutely exhausted from incessant crying all day.
I have tried gas drops, which I think are such a hoax, yet I continue to pump him full of them because I am hoping they will actually do something.
Considering I have a 19 month old in the house who also needs his Mommy, I have no choice but to let Sutton scream in his swing or Moses basket sometimes. I feel so bad for Cohen. I feel like I have given 70% of my time to Sutton because he is screaming all day, and that leaves such little time for Mommy and Cohen.
I am definitely open to any ideas anyone may have for how to soothe such a fussy child. I hope this passes quickly.
Have a wonderful fall day!!

2 comments:

  1. kelly, try the staying on one side for more hind milk. if they eat frequently keep on the same side. esp if his stools are watery. call Jane if you need more info. Hope it gets better soon. So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the early days with Ethan= exactly. We ended up having a little reflux and gave him Prevacid. Hang in there! I saw improvements by week 11-12. If you ever wanna come over and let Cohen play with Ethan or bring him for a playdate while you hang with Sutton just call! I found getting in the bath tub with Ethan helped a lot and just sitting by the edge of the shower while it ran in the dark helped. Looking back I would limit the time nursing...I think I over fed him. But who knows!

    ReplyDelete